Bacon Wrapped Spicy Sweet Potato Wedges with Chilli Lime Mayo – oven roasted sweet potato wedges wrapped in crispy bacon with a chilli lime mayo.
Here is a really simple, easy and so delicious recipe for you! The act of wrapping things in bacon is nothing new under the sun but it’s so friggin awesome! Who agrees that bacon tends to make everything taste better?!
At first, I thought it was just an exaggeration; a lot of people love bacon plus it’s humorously synonymous with the Paleo diet. However, I’m telling you guys, when I started wrapping things in bacon, it was like I opened the door to a whole new world and my life has never been the same since.
Honestly, do you ever find yourself actually CRAVING bacon? It blows my mind really.
This Bacon Wrapped Spicy Sweet Potato Wedges with Chilli Lime Mayo is the perfect “wrapped-in-bacon” dish. I love to mix sweet and salty flavours together, so it was a no-brainer to pick sweet potatoes. However, if sweet potatoes aren’t your thing, I have tried this recipe with butternut squash and the flavours are just as divine. Plantains would also work just as well!
Normally, I wouldn’t add so much heat to the bacon because it can burn quite easily however, the extra crispiness is harmonious with the sweet potatoes.
Mayo has been my go to dip ever since I learned how to make it. This Chilli Lime Mayo actually happened by accident; I ran out of lemons lol. Glad I did though because I don’t think I’ve enjoyed mayo as much as I did with this recipe. The lime has a nice cooling effect which works perfectly if you don’t like spicy food so much. You can also simply adjust the level of heat to suit you.
This can be devoured as a simple snack, breakfast, lunch or dinner – just add a couple wedges to your meal and you’re good to go! I would pair it nicely with some green vegetables to make it a complete meal.
Bacon Wrapped Spicy Sweet Potato Wedges with Chilli Lime Mayo - sweet potato cut up into wedges and wrapped with bacon then seasoned in a spicy cayenne seasoning with a chilli and lime mayonnaise for the condiment.
- 3 large sweet potatoes (cut into wedges)
- 16 streaks of bacon (or as many as you need)
- 1 tsp ground cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp ground paprika
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tsp yellow mustard
- 1 tsp salt (I used Pink Himalayan)
- 240 ml /8 fl. oz light olive oil (or any light oil you choose)
- Juice of half a lime
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp of your favourite chilli hot sauce
- Preheat your oven to 200C/400F.
- Cut your sweet potatoes into wedges and wrap with a streak of bacon each.
- Place on a baking tray and sprinkle with cayenne and paprika.
- Place in oven for 25 mins or until bacon is slightly burning at the edges (best indicator)
- Next, start on your mayo.
- Mix your egg yolk, mayo and salt in a bowl.
- Using a hand whisk or electric whisk, begin whisking while slowly adding the oil to emulsify.
- Once all the oil is poured in, add your lime, vinegar and hot sauce and mix to incorporate.
- Serve and enjoy!
Sweet potatoes and bacon vary in cooking times so your bacon will need to be slightly burnt at the edges to ensure the sweet potato is cooked through. However, only a little (see pictures as a guide)!
Also if you're worried about your bacon unwrapping then you can stick toothpicks to keep them in place
Keep up-to-date with WhittyPaleo happenings here!