Pulled Pork & Caramelised Onions Stuffed Sweet Potato – healthy baked sweet potatoes stuffed with Orange BBQ Pulled Pork and Caramelised onions.
Okay, I promise this is my last Orange BBQ Pork post. I’m even ignoring the fact that I still have a small container full left in my freezer. I don’t even understand how I made so much but hey yo, I’m grateful to have food to eat.
SO I’ve given you cabbage wraps & tostadas, this time it’s back to my beloved Sweet Potato. I imagine that this Pulled Pork & Caramelised Onions Stuffed Sweet Potato is going to blow your socks right off. Dare I say it! I
licked ate every bit of juiciness left on my plate. I mean, juicy orange bbq pork AND caramelised onions??? Heavenly!
I love making meals where everything gets cooked within the same time frame. With this recipe, you pop your sweet potato to roast in your oven and caramelise your onions at the same time so, you’ll have all the joy, piping hot on your plate when it’s time to serve.
Gosh, I had this one time where I was ridiculously hangry. I baked some chicken breasts but had to pop it back in again because, I
was scared thought that it hadn’t cooked properly. I was left eating the brussels sprouts I roasted with it – alone. Then, the chicken was done and I didn’t even bother plating it, like what was the point? I just held it in my hand and ate it – like a real cavewoman LOL.
Listen, sometimes, you just need to ask – what is life? And carry on.
One thing to note when caramelising your onions – find something to do, that you can leave intermittently (like every 5-10 minutes). I’m telling you, your eye needs to be kept right on your onions or they will burn and coconut sugar/honey won’t be able to help you. You want to stir them consistently – not too much that they don’t caramelise but just enough so they don’t burn.
So, if you’ve been following some of my posts, I mentioned that I decided to watch Grey’s Anatomy from the beginning. Well, I’m proud (don’t know why) to say that I finished! Yep, made it to the Season 12 finale. All I can say is: The BEST medical drama of all time. That is all.
- 1 large sweet potato, scrubbed well
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- Salt & Pepper
- 5-6 medium- large yellow onions sliced*
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp butter or ghee
- 1 tsp coconut sugar/honey
- ¼ tsp Pink Himalayan Salt
- Leftover Orange BBQ Pork (check notes for recipe)
- Preheat your oven to 200C/400F.
- Prick your sweet potato all around, with a fork. Rub it with coconut oil, sprinkle some salt and pepper and place in the oven for 50 – 60 mins**
- In a large pot or pan, add your olive oil and butter. Let heat through
- Next, add your sliced onions. Let cook for about 10 minutes.
- Then add your coconut sugar or honey and your salt. Stir to incorporate
- Important note: keep your eye on your onions. Come back to stir every 5-10 minutes but make this time shorter when the onions begin to brown up.
- Onions are done when they are brown and look almost crispy, around 55-60 minutes.
- Heat up your leftover pork in a pan. Serve stuffed in your sweet potato and topped with the caramelised onions.
* This will make about a cup more than might be needed but good to have on hand
** I would suggest roasting more sweet potatoes to keep for later + makes you feel like you’re not wasting electricity lol
Keep up-to-date with WhittyPaleo happenings here!