Sweet Paleo Plantain Fish Cakes with a decadent Mango Salsa/Slaw. A decadent mix of Mackerel, Tuna and Salmon Fish Cakes paired with a Fresh Mango Lime Salsa.
This recipe legit has me dancing. That good-good dance when you know you’re about to dive into one of the best meals ever. You know exactly what I’m talking about! This recipe is going to bless your taste buds and leave you so satisfied!
I love fish cakes but this spin just took them to a-whole-nother level! I mean, what’s better than some sweet plantains, right? The mango salsa really does top it all off and makes it feel like a party is going on in your mouth. This one has three rooms: the fish, the plantain and the mango salsa and all of them play the hottest tunes since the 90’s! If you don’t fancy a fish cake, check out my other seafood recipes here!
(You’re really going to dance all night with this one: don’t plan on an early bedtime!)
So when I first made this recipe, I took the pictures with my Samsung S5 and I made this comment:
Since I couldn’t find my mum’s professional canon camera though, I think I’ll stick to my S5 for now. For now. Don’t be surprised later on when I’m talking about my new Canon DR550 or something like that. You ever wonder how these companies come up with the names for their makes and models? Like Nikon X640 or – let me use a real one here – Panasonic DMC-GH4 Lumix.. oh my goodness. What a load of nonsense! Honestly, if anyone knows the answer to that, please feel free to leave me a comment or something.
Well, I got a Nikon D3300 haha.
Anyway, back to the reason for this post: Paleo Plantain Fish Cakes with a Mango Salsa / Slaw. I don’t think this is a new phenomenon and I actually got the idea from trying Sweet Potato Fish Cakes.
My friends have absolutely adored this recipe, I made this for guests at a community unit’s 2-year anniversary and they remembered me by the fish cakes! What I’m trying to say is this is a fool-proof recipe, you are going to enjoy every single bite!
Well, I want you guys to try it and let me know which room was playing the best flavourful tunes (ha, I’m back to my raving analogy again – go figure). No more talking, I’ll let you guys in on my food galore!
Sweet Paleo Plantain Fish Cakes with a decadent Mango Salsa / Slaw. A decadent mix of Mackerel, Tuna and Salmon with mashed plantains and seasoned to beauty! Paired with a fresh, zingy mango and lime salsa!
- 4 Plantains
- 500 g Mixed fish of your choice*
- 1 tablespoon of Coconut Aminos
- 1/2 tablespoon of Fish Sauce
- 1-2 tablespoon of Dessicated Coconut
- 1/2 tablespoon of Honey
- 1 Lime
- 1 teaspoon of Onion Powder
- 1 teaspoon of Garlic Powder
- 1 teaspoon of Sea Salt
- 1 teaspoon of Black Pepper
- Coconut Oil for frying
- 1 -1 1/2 Mangoes
- 1 Red Pepper
- 1 Medium - sized Red Cabbage (can substitute yellow and green red peppers like in pictures)
- 1/2 Cucumber
- 1/2 Sweet Onion
- 1 Lime
- 1/2 Lemon
- Cut off the ends of the plantains and chop each one into four sections (skin on). Place the plantains in a pot, cover with water and boil them for 15-20 mins - till the skin is black and plantains are soft.
- Drain the plantains and leave to cool.
- Start on the salsa. Dice up your ingredients to your liking. Using a large enough bowl, add all ingredients (lime and lemon last) and mix till well incorporated. Cover and leave in the fridge.
- Plantains should be cool enough now, remove the skins.
- Place the plantains in a mixing bowl and mash. Add in your aminos, fish sauce, coconut, honey and lime. Add in your seasonings last.
- Mix well and form into patties. Mine made about 8-10 patties.
Grab a pan on medium-high heat and add your coconut oil (enough to fry a pancake). Fry the cakes for about a minute on each side till browned.
- Plate up and serve with the mango salsa.
*I used 170g Salmon, 160g Tuna & 125g Mackerel undrained
Keep up-to-date with WhittyPaleo happenings here!