This warm vegan sweet potato salad is jazzed up by adding some sweet blueberries to the mix! This flavourful pairing is a nice change to your everyday sweet potato salad recipes, making this completely vegan and dairy free! Top with a sweet balsamic reduction and you have a delicious, easy salad recipe for your next BBQ!Jump to Recipe Jump to Video
I love making different types of paleo salads! Anything with fruit is my favourite because I think fruit makes an exotic and sweet addition to otherwise basic salad recipes. They also look beautiful on a dinner table! If you ever wanted to impress at a dinner party, make an easy salad and add some fruit! It takes a basic salad to a gourmet salad in minutes.
This easy vegan sweet potato salad is super simple to make and requires just a little more umph to create that sweet balsamic reduction sauce. Trust me, the balsamic reduction takes this recipe to a whole nother level!
This recipe is perfect for dinner parties, BBQ’s or just to add to your weekly meal rotation. You can make the recipe ahead; simply make the roasted sweet potatoes and balsamic reduction, then top the salad with the sauce when you’re ready to serve.
I love Sweet Potatoes and I love Blueberries. I have enjoyed them off this recipe before and I realised I could totally make a salad out of them! So slide in this super easy and tasty Cinnamon Roasted Sweet Potato Blueberry Salad!
What’s in this roasted sweet potato salad?
- Sweet Potato
- Mixed leaves: spinach, rocket etc
- Balsamic vinegar
- Coconut oil
How to make this easy paleo salad
Learn how to make this easy vegan sweet potato salad with balsamic vinegar reduction.
- Preheat your oven to 200C/400F.
- Toss your sweet potatoes, diced into chunks, in a bowl with coconut oil, cinnamon and salt.
- Place on a baking tray and roast for 30 minutes.
- Start on your balsamic reduction by placing a sauce pan on high heat. Add your balsamic vinegar and cinnamon, bring it to a boil. Turn the heat to low and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Once done, construct your salad, serve and enjoy!
TIP: When making the balsamic reduction, keep your windows open or allow enough ventilation in the room! The vinegar does give off a very strong smell that could cause choking if not careful. Please be mindful of this as getting struck by the smell is not nice!!
FAQ’s for vegan roasted sweet potato salad
Honestly, this is completely your choice. I love to leave the skin on because there are nutrients just underneath the skin that I don’t want to miss out on. However, you can decide to peel them off to make your salad look more aesthetically pleasing. Skin off also makes for a smoother salad.
If you have already constructed the salad, this salad can be stored in an airtight container and kept up to 3 days in the fridge. If the salad is not yet constructed, you can keep the sweet potato for up to 5 days and the balsamic reduction can last up to 3months in an air tight container.
This is a mix of sweet, salty and vinegary flavours. The texture of the salad is soft and crunchy. The roasted sweet potatoes give off a caramelised sweetness that can only come from roasting the sweet potatoes.
Yes! The recipe is a perfect whole30 sweet potato salad. It is also vegan as mentioned above, gluten free and dairy free!
- 1 medium sweet potato diced
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup of blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- large bunch of mixed leaves
- Preheat your oven to 200C/400F.
- Toss your diced sweet potatoes, cinnamon, salt and oil in a bowl.
- Lay them fairly spaced out on a baking tray and roast for 25 – 30minutes.
- Once the sweet potatoes are in the oven, place a small saucepan on high heat.
- Add in your balsamic vinegar and cinnamon and bring to a boil.
- Once it reaches a boil, turn the heat to low and simmer for 15 – 20 minutes*.
- Once done, serve your salad and drizzle with your balsamic reduction
*For a thicker reduction, leave longer but keep an eye on it to make sure it does not burn. It also gets thicker while it cools.
This recipe is very easily adapted to make a bigger salad just add more sweet potatoes – I would say 1 for each person and a 1/4-1/2 cup bluberries for each person. The balsamic reduction serves 2 but can also be adapted to make a larger quantity.
When making the balsamic reduction, keep your windows open or allow enough ventilation in the room! The vinegar does give off a very strong smell that could cause choking if not careful. Please be mindful of this as getting struck by the smell is not nice!!
More sweet potato recipes: