Cajun Chicken Plantain Salad – Grilled Cajun chicken with sweet plantains on a bed of healthy mixed leaves. Living healthy and delicious goals.
This delicious Cajun Chicken Plantain Salad takes grilled chicken salads to a-whole-nother level. I could literally eat this every day and not get bored. That’s saying a lot because honestly, salads can be so dull and lifeless.
Normally, salads are associated with weight loss and trying to lose 10 pounds in a day (lol) which in turn, leaves the salad to be something completely unexciting.
I mean, who actually looks forward to salads these days??
Well, you might want to kick-start your anticipation with this one because salads may just be worth your while!
It goes without saying, you can prepare the chicken however you want. I used my griddle pan because I needed to put it to some real grilling use. The Cajun seasoning recipe I used actually comes from the lovely Charlene over at ThatGirlCooksHealthy.com: you should totally check out her site!
You don’t have to fry your plantains, you can steam or boil them; however, I do think frying brings out the sweetness and caramel-ly texture you want to work with this salad. Make sure you pick your plantains yellow or yellow with dark spots: green ones are a NO for this one.
Can somebody say BALANCE? Because this Cajun Chicken Plantain Salad recipe is a complete balance of proteins, carbs & fats and you don’t miss out on the joy of eating at all! You can definitely alter this salad to fit your requirements in terms of your workout/weight loss goals but remember: Plantains are GOOD carbs, you may just want to keep ’em in your diet.
Let me know if you enjoyed this one by leaving a comment! Have you ever had to struggle through monotonous meals in the name of weight loss?
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1 yellow plantain
- 2 tablespoons cajun seasoning (recipe in notes)
- 90 grams mixed leaves (Arugula/Wild Rocket, Baby Spinach, Baby Red Chard)
- 10 cherry tomatoes (halved)
- 1 avocado
- 1/2 teaspoon honey
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil (more for frying plantains)
- Rub your chicken with the Cajun Seasoning and you can either leave overnight or do it this quick way.
- Place your chicken in a large ziploc bag and smash your chicken with a rolling pin, till it is as flat as you can get it.
- Heat up your griddle pan on a high heat till it gets hot!
- Cut off the ends of your plantain and then slice in half lengthwise. Slice each half again (in half) and dice.
- Place another pan or pot on medium heat and add some coconut oil.
- By now, your griddle pan should be hot enough, add your chicken and cover with a lid. Leave chicken to cook for about 3-4 mins, then flip and cook for another 4-5 mins. Your chicken is done when the internal temperature reaches 165F or chicken is white the whole way through.
- At the same time as cooking your chicken, add your diced plantains to the second pan and cook till brown and caramelised. Once done, remove and place on a towel or in a colander to drain the excess oil.
- Prepare your salad (wash and dry your veg), then construct your salad by placing the leaves at the bottom and the chicken, plantain, tomatoes and avocado on top. Or you could construct however you like!
- For the Sweet Paprika Sauce: mix the honey, paprika and 1/2 teaspoon of Coconut Oil together and drizzle onto salad.
- Serve and enjoy!
You don't have to grill your chicken or fry your plantains. These instructions follow exactly how I would make them. Feel free to bake your chicken and steam/boil your plantains. You can also add different types of veg to this salad - it's your world lovely!
Check out some more awesome Plantain Recipes: