Easy Paleo Mexican Stuffed Peppers – roasted bell peppers stuffed with a delicious meat filling
Who ever said eating your veggies was no fun? I honestly feel like I’ve had some delicious moments stolen from my childhood just because. These Easy Paleo Mexican Stuffed Peppers are everything!
This meal is so healthy, nutritious and oh so good. It is so easy to make, all you need are medium-large sized bell peppers, some ground meat and seasoning. You can also add some more optional ingredients to make this more to your liking. I definitely suggest adding some Nutritional Yeast though; it makes it taste that much better!
Honestly, I love meals like these. Easy to prepare and so tasty, it is perfect comfort for a night in or even a small get together! You won’t even break the bank too much as one bell pepper is enough for one serving.
Did you know that bell peppers have no more than 50 calories in them (ranging in size) – in fact, these bell peppers I used are only 13 calories! Such a great way to enjoy your food and actually eat healthy, eh?
The traditional mexican stuffed pepper is made with ground meat and rice; however, being Paleo, rice is actually off the menu. If you wanted you could use Cauliflower Rice to make this more like the original. To be honest though, this is still so delicious either way!
- 3-4 bell peppers
- 1 tbsp coconut or olive oil
- 1 onion (diced)
- 2-3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2-3 jalapenos (optional: I like spicy food, diced)
- 2 green chillies (diced, optional)
- 500 g grass-fed/organic ground beef (or any other ground meat)
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons coconut aminos
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon mint
- Preheat your oven to 175C/350F
- Wash bell peppers and cut in half with the outer green stem still attached. Remove the inside stem and seeds.
- Steam the peppers for about 4 1/2 minutes.
- While bell peppers are steaming, place a pan on medium heat and cook diced onions until translucent. Add in garlic, jalapenos & chillies.
- Once done, add in your ground beef and cook until browned.
- Add in your tomato paste and coconut aminos. Stir in until fully incorporated.
- Next, add in your seasonings. Let cook for another 3-5 minutes.
- Take your filling off the heat and grab your peppers. Using a slotted spoon, stuff each pepper with enough of your meat filling. Over filling is okay, it should not drip in your oven.
- Using a baking tray, baking sheet or whatever else you fancy, place stuffed peppers in your oven and bake for 10 minutes. This step is optional but it adds a nice roasted finish to the peppers. Make sure you keep an eye on them so the meat filling does not burn.
- Once done, plate and serve!
Top with mustard, salsa or guacamole
Keep up-to-date with WhittyPaleo happenings here!